Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Ready for a little Soul?

Hello again, friends and neighbors.


So I thought for my second installment, I would mix things up a bit. I loves me some Sufie (Stevens, that is), but sometimes you just get a hankerin for some SOUL.


Today's GOOD SONG is "Better Things" by Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings.


Here ya go:
Better Things




Sing it, Mama Jones!
Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings are a fascinating little group. And by little I mean big. It consists of Sharon Jones on vocals and eight dudes on varying instruments. They record all their songs without modern technical equipment to give their music a really retro feel. And MAN, do they get it right. Really, I don't think I've heard of anyone listening to them for the first time and guessing correctly that they were contemporary. They get 1960's/70's soul/funk better than some of the 1960's/70's soul/funk bands did back then!
They have performed/collaborated with Mark Ronson, Amy Winehouse (surprise, surprise), Michael Buble, heck, even Phish!


This song is off their most recent album "I Learned The Hard Way" which was released in April this year. This is a great song (especially if you have just gotten out of a relationship, by the way).


If you like this song, you might also like:
Etta James
Otis Redding
Mark Ronson
Amy Winehouse
Janelle Monae
Al Green
Marvin Gaye
and, apparently, anything else on the Daptone Record label.


And you will also like this song, Inspiration Information, which is my personal fave, from a compilation CD from 2009 called "Dark Was The Night."


Spooooooky connection to the last post: Sufjan Stevens lives in Brooklyn. The Dap-Kings hail from Brooklyn. Coincidence? I think not.


DOWNLOAD HER MUSIC HERE: Sharon Jones & the Dap-Kings


Over and out,
Anna


P.S. The posts are going to be pretty frequent this week, since school hasn't started yet. Unfortunately, I will probably have to slow it down a bit when I begin working again. But no fear! Not TOO slow.

No comments:

Post a Comment