Monday, December 13, 2010

Dreamy Folk-Pop for Owls...?

There seems to be a profusion of random bands popping up with animal names (Grizzly Bear, Bear in Heaven, Panda Bear, Shearwater [a kind of bird], Wolf Parade, Dr. Dog, and the list goes on...). One noteworthy animal band out there right now, though, is most definitely Breathe Owl Breathe.
Right now they're rockin the #10 spot on eMusic's charts and for good reason. They seem like a great little musical trio, and their music just makes me happy. Also, after listening to their song "Dragon," I can tell they have a great goofy sense of humor.

The band is comprised of Micah Middaugh (on the guitar, banjo, piano, and "musical toys" section of the band), Andrea Moreno-Beals (on vocals and AMAZING cello), and Trevor Hobbes (on drums and all sorts of random instruments of the percussive persuasion). I believe they're all from Michigan, so I guess this post is yet another Midwest shoutout

Jump Owl Jump!
Their album "Magic Central" just came out in September, and it's great. Andrea's voice reminds me a lot of Feist's. Which is always a good thing, right?
The first GOOD SONG of theirs that I wanna recommend is their song "House of Gold." The only version I could find of it is a random live version from a show they did in Ohio, but it's definitely still worth a listen/watch. Here you go: House of Gold. I am digging her backup vocals on this one.

The second GOOD SONG of theirs from "Magic Central" is Swimming. It's quite chill, as a lot of their stuff is, but it's a great song. And, as the lyrics say, I definitely wish I was swimming right now (someplace warm, obviously. The 31 degree weather here is a whole lotta no fun). 

If you like these songs, you might also check out:

Feist
Horse Feathers
Iron & Wine
The Cave Singers
Bonnie "Prince" Billy
The Be-Good Tanyas
Pink & Noseworthy

BUY THEIR MUSIC HERE: Breathe Owl Breathe

Over and out,
Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment