Saturday, April 16, 2011

"Can't you live and be thankful you're here?"

So I first heard of the band Guillemots (pronounced Gill-i-mots) my freshman year of college when they released an EP that I heard somewhere and was instantly hooked. The band is based in London, although only one ban member is actually from England: Fyfe "Yes This Is My Real Name" Dangerfield. The other band mates are mC LOrd "Probably Not My Real Name" MagRao from Brazil, Aristazabal "Yes I Too Have Cool Name" Hawkes from Canada, and Greig "Lacking In The Cool Name Department" Stewart from Scotland. Aristazabal is a classically trained jazz musician, MagRao often plays unconventional instruments like the power tool, the theramin, and the typewriter, and overall their sound is unusual and fresh and super-FUN. 

See? Like I said, men just look better in hats.
Their GOOD SONG Trains to Brazil was on repeat on my ipod for months. And months.
I love this song because of the great energy behind it. It sounds like it was recorded at a party, and the saxophone that comes in is fantastic. There is surprising depth in the lyrics. My favorite lines?


"And to those of you who moan your lives
from one day to the next-
Well, let them take you next.
Can't you live and be thankful you're here?
See it could be you tomorrow or next year."

As I said, I first heard their EP my freshman year. However, for some reason known only to certain synapses in my brain (very secretive synapses that won't tell any other synapses the reasons for their actions), I didn't download any of their other stuff. Which was stupid of me, since they then released a full-length LP, and then another one in 2008. As far as I can tell, though, it's only available in Great Britain, which is really annoying. 

Fortunately for me, though, they are releasing another album this year, and it's been streaming live from The Hype Machine. I've only gotten about half-way through it, and it is also incredible. It hasn't been released yet, like I said, but I found one of my favorite songs off the album on youtube, performed live on the radio. 

Check it out:
GOOD SONG #2: I Don't Feel Amazing Now (live on the radio) by Guillemots
It's much more chill (especially in this pared-down live version, as opposed to the album version) and more melancholy. His voice has a sweetness to it, but not in a saccharine way at all. 
"Just take my hand and make me feel amazing/ Cuz I don't feel amazing now."

If you liked these songs, you might also check out:
Elbow
Jens Lekman
Delta Spirit
The Elected
Dandy Warhols
Edward Sharpe & The Magnetic Zeros

Buy their music here: Guillemots!
And cross your fingers that their new album entitled "Walk The River" (due out on this Monday, the 18th) will be available in America!

Over and out,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment