Saturday, April 23, 2011

"If I had an orchard..."

So here goes a quick post before Easter for y'all (I'm allowed to say that now. I live below the Mason-Dixon line).

So most of you are probably acquainted with Fleet Foxes already, but in case you're not: They're based in Seattle (again! I can't avoid em!) and released two EP's before they really got noticed. Their song "Mykonos" off their second EP "Sun Giant" is a GOOD SONG, too. Check it out if you haven't already: Mykonos. They relelased their self-titled debut album in 2009 and got rave reviews.

Look at all that hair! Look at all that plaid!
They were just MADE to be indie folk stars.

Fortunately for FF fans, they're releasing a new album on May 3rd! Also fortunately, they released a single from that album already:
GOOD SONG:  Helplessness Blues by Fleet Foxes (from their upcoming album of the same title as the song).
This is a GOOD SONG for many reasons: first, I love the lyrics.
 
"I was raised up believing I was somehow unique
Like a snowflake, distinct among snowflakes
Unique in each way you can see.
But now after some thinking
I'd say I'd rather be
A functioning cog in some great machinery
Serving something beyond me."
To me those are interesting: aren't we all raised up believing we are totally unique and yet don't we all want to be part of something greater, too?

And then:
"If I know only one thing, 
it's that everything that I see
Of the world outside is so inconceivable 
often I barely can speak
Yeah I'm tongue-tied and dizzy 
and I can't keep it to myself.
What good is it to sing helplessness blues?
Why should I wait for anyone else?"

I often feel this way: everything is so beautifully crazy and inconceivable that sometimes I feel like anything I say will just fall short. But it doesn't mean lack of action, or helplessness, or despair. Instead, it's joyful. 

And then the last part of the song (I promise! No more lyrics now!):

"If I had an orchard, I'd work til I'm raw.
If I had an orchard, I'd work til I'm sore."

Yes. And yes. 

Second, their sound is awesome. Their chiming, jangling guitars and their distinctive echoing vocal harmonies are so refreshing. There is real beauty in their music and I can't wait for their new album.

Buy their music here: Fleet Foxes

If you liked these songs, you might also check out:

Simon & Garfunkel
Bon Iver
Panda Bear
Grizzly Bear
Vashti Bunyan (super folksy & weird)
Joanna Newsom (super folksy & weird)
Iron & Wine

Over and out,
Anna

P.S. Happy Easter!!

1 comment: