Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Everyone Loves Bobby D (Covers Month Post #4)

Yes! Making my four-post-a-month quota! Whoo-hoo!

Last post for COVERS MONTH:

GOOD (ORIGINAL) SONG: Lay Lady Lay by Bob Dylan
I am a HUGE Dylan fan (as anyone in their right mind should be, of course). I love this song, even though it doesn't sound like "normal" Dylan. It's from his 1969 album "Nashville Skyline," which shows off Dylan's amazing folk-song writing skills, but with much, much smoother-sounding vocals. Why? He quit smoking! And, boy, can you tell! All the songs on this album are FANTASTIC, I can't lie. This one is great, though. It's obviously slightly sexually charged (lay on his bed, yeah yeah, I get it), but still rather sweet to me. Maybe it's that he's calling her lady. My favorite line?
"Why wait any longer for the one you love
When he's standing in front of you?"
Oh yeah, and you gotta love the cowbell.

He's Norwegian. He's not comfortable singing if it isn't snowing.
GOOD (COVER) SONG: Lay Lady Lay by Magnet w/ Gemma Hayes
This one has a much sexier, fuller, more lustrous sound. Check out those violins! Magnet, a Norwegian singer, has chosen to make it into a duet with Irish singer Gemma Hayes, which totally works. Magnet (a.k.a. Even Johansen) has a smooth voice, too, but in a much different way than Nashville-Skyline-era-Bobby-D. I don't know how I'd describe it. Languid? Sleepy? Soft? And Gemma Hayes's voice has a nice, slightly husky twang to it. It's definitely worth a listen. I wouldn't say I like this song better than the original, but it gives it a run for its money. It's from his album 2003 "On Your Side," which I got when it came out, and have enjoyed since then. I'm a big fan of Norway's music scene. They've been producing a lot of great musicians for a while now. 

BEST MOVIE EVER!
I would be ashamed to make a post of great Dylan cover songs without mentioning the fantastic film "I'm Not There" (2007). I am a HUGE fan. It's great for Dylan fans, or anyone interested in music or film, for that matter. It's especially interesting if you have read Bob Dylan's book Chronicles, Volume One and/or seen the Fellini film "8 1/2." It makes a lot more sense if you have seen them. It's a very odd film.  
There are a TON of great covers of Dylan songs throughout the movie. In fact, the entire soundtrack is awesome Dylan covers by all sorts of musicians. Here is give you one of my favorite original/cover duos:
I beg to differ, Mr. Zimmerman.
GOOD (ORIGINAL) SONG: Moonshiner (live) by Bob Dylan 
From his album "Live at the Gaslight 1962" (recorded at the Gaslight, in Greenwich Village, a few blocks away from my house), this song is an old, old song. It's definitely not a Bob Dylan original. It's probably an American folk song, but some say it's Irish. Personally, given the use of the very American term "moonshine" I would say it's American. Whatever it is, it's melancholy and beautiful. This has his more recognizable voice. It is a heartbreaking song sung from the point of view of a lonely old alcoholic. 
"The whole world's a bottle,
and life's but a dram,
when the bottle get's empty,
it sure ain't worth a damn."

Moral of the story: you are what you drink, folks. 

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
-Oscar Wilde
GOOD (COVER) SONG: Moonshiner by Bob Forrest
Although it's hard for me to choose, I think this may be my favorite cover on the whole soundtrack. And that's saying a lot! Bob Forrest takes this song and OWNS it. The harmonica! Amazing! The percussion! Awesome! I love how everything kicks into gear after the line "Their breath is as sweet as/ a dew on the vine." I feel he gives the song more feeling than Dylan does, honestly. Given Forrest's long, public struggle with (and final victory over!) addiction, there may actually BE more feeling there. A sad song overall, but Forrest nails it, and makes it moving and new every time I listen to it. 

Go out and buy that soundtrack!!

If you liked these songs, you might also like:
Kings of Convenience
The Tallest Man on Earth
Neil Young
John Prine
Thelonious Monster

Over and out,
Anna




No comments:

Post a Comment