Sunday, November 20, 2011

Preachers and Talking Heads (Covers Month Post #3)

Another great song and great cover:

I have to admit,"smarmy" is the first word that comes to my mind
when I see this photo.

GOOD (ORIGINAL) SONG: Take Me to the River by Al Green, from his album "Al Green Explores Your Mind."
This song is classic R&B/soul amazingness. It's clearly a "woman done did me wrong" sort of song, but with some baptismal overtones. I like the little dedication in the beginning.
Al Green (or the Reverend Al Green, as he is known now) is a living legend. He is one of the most famous soul singers of all time. He sold more than twenty million records! Insanity. Like me, he was the sixth child in his family, and unlike me, was the son of a sharecropper. In 1974, at the height of his career, things changed. Supposedly after a horrible incident with a girlfriend of his (who gave him serious burns and then killed herself), he became a preacher at Full Gospel Tabernacle Church in Memphis. He still does some recording, but his role as preacher remains first and foremost in his life. Perhaps this song was a hint of future baptisms to come...
His voice, high and strong, is sooooo good. I'm sure he is a fantastically charismatic preacher.

Gooftacular.
GOOD (COVER) SONG: Take Me to the River by the Talking Heads, from their album "More Songs About Buildings and Food"(great album title).
Theirs is quite a different version, which I can appreciate. I mean, what good is a cover song, really, if you don't take it and make it your own? The beat is fantastic. They make the song kinda trippy, especially with that organ in the background (I think that's what that is). The Talking Heads understand this.
I have a special place in my heart for the Talking Heads. They rose to fame on my very street, at the late, great CBGB on Bleecker Street (about four blocks from where I grew up). David Byrne, the lead singer, still continues to make awesome music, although the band itself broke up in 1991. Their sound is hard to pin down, but Byrne's voice is very distinctive. They're famous for using odd instruments and combining all sorts of influences. I love them.

If you like these songs, you might also check out:
Marvin Gaye
Otis Redding
Jackie Wilson
Brian Eno
Tom Tom Club
Television

Over and out,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment