Thursday, September 22, 2011

My favorite post ever... Also my dorkiest.

Today is a very important day. It's two people's birthdays. Guess. No, not me and my friend. Guess again.

Yes, that's right! You guessed it!

BILBO AND FRODO BAGGINS!

HAPPY HOBBIT DAY!
Good Lord, I do love hobbits.
OK, so I know I am a huge dweeb. I really don't care. I am in fantastic company, because do you know who else were big LOTR/Hobbit dorks?

LED ZEPPELIN.
That's right. So I am not ashamed.

And in honor of this festive occasion, I am posting one of the best renditions of a Led Zep song ever done:
GOOD (TOLKEIN-FRIENDLY) SONG: Battle of Evermore by the London Philharmonic covering Led Zeppelin

Note: PLEASE do NOT dismiss this song just because it is by Led Zeppelin (for those of you not into classic rock) or because it has some LOTR references in the original lyrics. It is AMAZING!!

This song is from an entire album of Led Zeppelin covers played by the London Philharmonic entitled "Kashmir: Symphonic Led Zeppelin." If you ever thought you might want to go marching into battle against orcs and goblins and ring-wraiths, this should be your soundtrack. I'm really not kidding.
I love this one song from the album because it's beautiful and stirring and magical-sounding and all sorts of cool/nerdy adjectives.
I picked it for today, because the original song (GOOD SONG ALERT!) has lyrics that reference Lord of the Rings.
For example:
"Oh war is the common cry, 
Pick up your swords and fly.
The sky is filled with good and bad that mortals never know.

Oh, well, the night is long 

The beads of time pass slow,
Tired eyes on the sunrise, waiting for the eastern glow.

The pain of war cannot exceed 

The woe of aftermath,
The drums will shake the castle wall, 

the ring wraiths ride in black, 
Ride on."


I hope you enjoyed that magical moment. Enjoy your pipe-smoking, dragon-slaying, second-breakfast-eating, ring-wearing, riddle-sharing, or whatever else you do today in honor of hobbits everywhere.

If you liked this song, you might also check out:
anything by Hans Zimmer
The London Philharmonic playing Pink Floyd (it happened!)

Over and out,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment