Tuesday, September 6, 2011

The Week in Review, Part Two

(hey it rhymes.... if you say two more like "tew")


So, what else happened?


Sorrento by night. Bustling and beautiful.
ITALY!
From Roma to Rimini, it was a great trip, but too much to talk about here. 
Here's what I was BLASTING on my headphones in Italy (both songs from my boyfriend's mix, thanks dude). 


GOOD (TRAVELING) SONG #1: Asfalt Tango by Fanfare Ciocârlia
Crazzzzy Romanian band with an AWESOME beat and horn section. If you like Beirut or Balkan Beat Box, then definitely check these guys out. If you like it and you're ever in NYC, go to Mehanata to go dancing. You won't regret it. 
It's a perfect song for the insanity I had while traveling, going to a from train stations with huge suitcases in tow, surrounded by lots and lots of crazy southern Italians in the blistering heat.  Italy doesn't believe in air-conditioning. Blargh. 
They look like they're having a great time...probably because
they're in a building with air-conditioning.
GOOD (TRAVELING) SONG #2: Senegal Fast Food by Amadou et Mariam (produced by Manu Chao)
This song is still on repeat in my car. You can tell it's been produced by Manu Chao- he samples his own stuff and he sings in the video. It might as well be his song. And I don't care. It's fantastic. The harmonica???!! Amazing.  And look at those sunglasses that Amadou and Mariam are wearing!! So styling, you gotta love it. The song/video definitely has some sort of political overtones, etc., but I don't know much about the French-Senegalese relationship, so I don't really know what to say about it. 


What else happened recently?
SCHOOOOOOL!
My sister likes to joke that school is a four-letter word: SKUL


But seriously, forks, it's true: School has started again. Back to teaching!
In celebration:
GOOD (SCHOOL) SONG #1: Good Morning, Little Schoolgirl by Muddy Waters
Muddy Waters was a freakin genius. He (and B.B. King) is who got me into the blues. Sooooo good. Yes, the song may be a bit, um, inappropriate, especially for our age-sensitive ears these days, but still... Let's just pretend it's about young love. 
Why the long face Muddy? YOU'RE A MUSICAL GENIUS!
Don't be upset!
GOOD (SCHOOL) SONG #2: Be True to Your School- The Beach Boys
Absolutely hilarious lyrics:
"When some loud braggart tries to put me down
And says his school is great
I tell him right away
'what's the matter buddy?
Ain't you heard of my school?
It's number one in the state.'
So be true to your school now
Just like you would to your girl or guy
Be true to your school now
And let your colors fly."


Maybe these are only funny to me since I never had any school spirit in high school or college, so it just seems absurd. NYU is not noted for its great athletics, I will remind you.


And tonight?
The National, Wye Oak, and Yo La Tengo at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Maryland! WHOO-HOO!
Here's what I might hear...
Reasonable Man (I Don't Mind) by The National, from their 2004 EP Cherry Tree. Great lyrics. 
Sometimes I Don't Get You by Yo La Tengo from their album I Am Not Afraid of You and I Will Beat Your Ass (best album title ever). 


Gotta run!
Over and out,
Anna





No comments:

Post a Comment