Monday, February 7, 2011

Love and the Lack Thereof: February Post #3

Let the love-themed songs continue!

I've been asking around about what people consider good "love songs" (which I am leaving as a very loosely defined idea here, folks), and been getting some interesting suggestions. 
For instance, this one, which my friend Everett recommended to me:
GOOD (LOVE) SONG: Volver  by Carlos Gardel.


Again, here I am venturing into musical territory that I am not very well acquainted with, but oh well. Damn the torpedoes! Full speed ahead! 
Carlos Gardel was one of, if not the, most famous of the tango singers in history. He had an incredible baritone, and was famous for being super-guapo (that's my Spanglish for you). Unfortunately, he died in a tragic plane crash at the height of his career. I like the fact that apparently even though this guy has been dead for longer than I've been alive, people still say that "Gardel canta cada dia mejor" (Gardel sings better every day). There is clearly a real love for this man and his music. Apparently he was also pretty badass, too, because he was shot in the lung at the beginning of his career. The bullet stayed in his lung. Dag.  


See, this is why I wish men still wore hats.
Anyhoo, this particular song is one of his most famous. Understandably. The lyrics are quite poetic. An old man sings about his first love, and returning to the town where it all happened. It's a beautiful song filled with longing for the past and for a love that one cannot forget. I know that doesn't make it the most upbeat, cheerful of love songs, but hey, I warned you I liked healthy doses of realism.  Here is the last stanza translated from the original Spanish (thanks Everett!)-- I like the last line: 


"I fear my encounter with the past, 
which returns to confront my life.
I fear the nights, which, 
populated with memories,
chain my dreams.
But the traveler that flees
sooner or later ceases his goings.
And although time has destroyed my old hope,
it holds, hidden, a humble expectation,
which is my life's entire treasure."


Another line from this song became a famous saying in Latin America: "Veinte aƱos no es nada"--Twenty years is nothing.  
That, friends, is a real love song. 


If you liked this song, you might also check out:
(according to my research)
Roberto Goyeneche
Julio Sosa
Juan D'Arienzo


Or maybe you should just move to Argentina. 


Over and out,
Anna 

No comments:

Post a Comment