Friday, February 25, 2011

Love and the Lack Thereof: February Post #6

Hey all!
I'm back, and so are the love songs.

This time the GOOD (LOVE) SONG is (drum roll please):

I'll Be Your Mirror by The Velvet Underground and Nico

The original hipsters.
A little bit about the Velvet Underground & Nico, for those who don't know:
They were a NYC-based band managed by Andy Warhol (you know, that artist). Lou Reed and John Cale were the most famous members of the group, I'd say (note: one of the Christmas songs I posted was by John Cale). Nico was a German fashion model/singer who collaborated with them on their famous first self-titled album (otherwise known as "The Banana Album"), but later parted ways with the band (for personal and professional reasons). Although they only released a few albums together, the band has been incredibly influential in the rock 'n roll world and their music is still relevant... and beautiful, like "I'll Be Your Mirror."

The first time I heard this song it was actually a live version of Lou Reed singing it instead of Nico, and surprisingly enough, it works quite well both ways. The lyrics are really moving. It's about a lover who sees the real beauty and worth of their loved one, and wants them to see it, too.

"When you think the night has seen your mind,
that inside you're twisted and unkind,
let me stand to show that you are blind.
Please put down your hands
'cause I see you.

I find it hard to believe that you don't know
the beauty that you are.
But if you don't, let me be your eyes,
a hand in the darkness, so you won't be afraid."

These are the words of not just a GOOD love song, but a GREAT one. Real love needs both people to be mirrors to each other, to witness to the beauty and dignity of the other (and also, I would say, to be mirrors of the greatness of Another...). 

If you liked this song, you might also check out:
older stuff like:
Lou Reed's solo stuff
The Stooges
The Kinks
The Pixies 
Patti Smith

and new stuff like:
The Secret Machines
Razorlight
Shearwater
Yo La Tengo

and many more...

Over and out,
Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment